Palo Alto

Palo Alto
Palo Alto

Monday, July 23, 2012

Gluten free AND vegan?! Must be gross, right? WRONG!!!

And I thought my dietary requirements were picky! apparently there is a whole subculture of us demanding not only homemade, gluten-free but also VEGAN!

I have made my way through 85% of a cookbook I got for xmas called "Babycakes Covers the Classics" by Erin McKenna. what a treasure trove of DELICIOUS recipes. Simple to follow, beautiful images to guide you towards a fabulous finish, and fairly accessible ingredients. Erin rates each of her recipes for difficulty, but even the most difficult are not hand-wringers, they just take more time to see thru. Also, she is very big on VANILLA. I've used a whole bottle on one of her recipes before! The book is available on Amazon.com. I especially recommend the chocolate chip cookies and madeleines. Even my teenagers love these treats and scarf them like their egg & wheat predecessors.

Luckily I just came across this great recipe for homemade vanilla extract from this great food blog Alexandra's Kitchen. She sources Cooks Illustrated as the inspiration for her recipe. Check it out as well as resources she recommends.

http://www.alexandracooks.com/2012/07/20/homemade-vanilla-extract-moo-labels/

No comments:

Post a Comment